Athlete Profile – Carol Morrell

Saturday, June 09, 2012 Stacey Baker 0 Comments










A little about myself: I grew up in Brigham City and am the 5th of 7 children. I graduated from the nursing program at Ricks College and then worked at Primary Children’s Hospital on the infant/toddler unit I served an LDS mission in Argentina. When I returned from Argentina, Salt Lake City seemed a little big and I ended up here in Logan. And I love it here.
My day job: I am a public health nurse at the Bear River Health Department.
Introduction to crossfit: My co-worker Lisa Perkins started crossfit in January of last year. She would come to work and tell us all the crazy things she was doing and getting up at 5:00 in the morning to do it. I thought she was absolutely crazy! She kept trying to convince me it was fun??? It took about 4 months but last April I decided to give it a try and I have been addicted since.
Favorite WOD or lift: I really like dead lifting. After one WOD, Paul had us practice the dead lift with 95# and I thought there would be no way I could budge that bar. But as I’ve found out several times in crossfit- I can do things I never thought I could.
Favorite skill or movement: Lifting a bar with weights on it- not just the bar. :) I’m also trying to figure out the double unders.
How crossfit has changed my life: I feel better physically. And it has taught me that I can do things I didn’t think I could, that I can push myself past the comfort zone.
Motivated and coming back: Friends that I knew before and have made there. There is such a great feeling at the box- everyone is cheering each other on and everyone is so encouraging. And as I see results in myself and things I can do in my daily life as a result of the crossfit workouts- it is exciting.
Something I wish someone would have told me when I started: That it takes time to see results. When I started I figured after a couple of months I would be at my goal weight and the workouts would get easier. In the first couple months I was gaining weight and the workouts seemed to be getting harder. But I have realized that the results come, but over time and the workouts don’t ever get easier. :)
One word that describes me: Cheerful. I enjoy life and for the most part am a happy person.
I have always wanted: To be a wife and mother.
Outside of the gym I like to: Travel and meet people from different cultures. I have had opportunities to go with medical groups to Peru a couple of times, Guatemala, and Ghana. We get to be in the middle of the people and I am humbled by what I see and how wonderful the people are. I also love spending time with my family.
Three things you’d find in my fridge: Milk, eggs, apples
Something nobody knows about me: I am certified in scuba diving and the ocean fascinates me. I always wish I could safely see all there is that is down there and could explore for hours without running out of oxygen.
Favorite physical activity outside of the gym: Go on a long walk with friends. For some reason it is easier to talk and open up as you are walking and so besides the physical benefit of getting out and doing something – there is also the free counseling session.
Favorite place to eat in Cache Valley: Tandori Oven (the owners are great!)
Songs that pump me up in workout: Whatever Paul and Stacey have playing that has a good beat.
The last thing I ate: A BLT sandwich with a glass of milk
My proudest accomplishment: I was asked to serve as president of a coalition that covers Northern Utah from Davis County to the Idaho border, and we were able to pull off a big conference for medical providers. I was able to overcome my shyness long enough to call a well-known national speaker and see if he would be willing to come be our keynote speaker. The planning and organizing was overwhelming, but when it all came together and worked out- it was an awesome feeling!
My six month goal is: Do better with my nutrition and eating.
My favorite workout attire is: Capri sweats and a t-shirt
My favorite workout partner(s): Everyone in the 5:15 am class. It’s like a big family. And I enjoy working out with Lisa Perkins and Denice Wade so we can sympathize with each other at work when our muscles are aching.
WOD named after me:
“Zippy” (my nickname)
50 double unders (150 singles for those of us who can’t get the doubles)
25 sit ups
10 dead lift
5 pull-ups
(4X)

0 comments :