Athlete Profile – Tamra Sampson

Saturday, May 26, 2012 Crissfitgirl 0 Comments

Tells us about yourself… I am originally from Georgia. I grew up in the southeast. I moved to Logan almost 11 years ago and have been living in Smithfield for 4 years. I have been married for 10 ½ years to Travis and we have 3 cute, demanding, dramatic, emotional, amazing little girls. Taylor is 6, Camille is 4 and Brenna is 1. Oh, and I like to have fun.
What’s your day job? I am a Registered Nurse that gets to stay home full time to play referee and Candy Land most of the day.
How where you introduced to CrossFit? I was talking to Daeci one day and told her that my top half didn’t match my bottom half and that I was sick of jiggling when I walked. She told me to come try crossfit, just for 3 days, and see what I thought. I walked through that door and have been walking through it almost everyday since.
What’s your favorite WOD or Lift? I don’t know if I have a favorite. I have the ones that I am not very good at like THRUSTERS! But I really love any WOD or lift that I finish. The feeling of euphoria once I am done makes the hard work seem like play.
What is your favorite skill/movement that you have learned at CrossFit IoTA? I love Box Jumps and Burpees
How has CrossFit changed your life? Crossfit is for me. Most of my time is spent on someone else – driving little girls to dance, soccer, and parties; entertaining little people; cooking dinner; keeping the house in order; yada, yada, yada =) I do Crossfit because I found something that I love to do. It has also given me the confidence that I can do anything. I know that if I keep at it I can accomplish anything.
What keeps you motivated and coming back for more? I have no idea! Maybe I like to get my butt kicked, maybe I like the people there, maybe it’s fun, or maybe I am just totally addicted? It could be all of those things. Whatever it is, I keep going back and I like it.
What’s something you know now that you wish someone would have said to you when you started CrossFit? It is addicting. I never understood what Mindy Anderson meant when she told me it was her drug of choice. But that feeling you get when you look at a WOD and think there is no way I can do that. You start, you keep going, you finish and that feeling of breathlessness followed by complete satisfaction is irreplaceable. I love it!
One word to describe me would be… Driven
I have always wanted… to be a singer. But I suck at singing.

Outside of the gym, I like to… shop, camp, dress my 3 little ladies up, and clean. I love to clean! I love to eat too. I can eat A LOT!
Three things you would always find in my fridge… milk, cheese, eggs
Something nobody knows about me or would be surprised to know about me… I have been on ESPN! You know those dance competitions that make you nauseated when you watch them? Yep, I was on there. We did win 1st place though.
Favorite physical activity outside of CFI… I love to walk or ride my bike and run my mouth!
Favorite place to eat in Cache Valley … My gosh, if they cook food, I like to eat there! I really like Takara Sushi.
Song(s) that gets me pumped up for a workout... I like anything that is fast and PINK and not just because of her music! =) However, most of the time I don’t even hear the music. I am too busy trying to talk myself into picking up the bar or doing just 5 more reps or getting back on the bar. I am usually carrying on a conversation with myself in my head to finish.
The last thing I ate was… Banana Cream pie.
My proudest accomplishment is… My marriage. I am married to the most patient, non – confrontational, calm man ever. We have fun, we laugh, we fight, we make up, and we make time for our selves. It has been fun so far.
My six month goal is… I want to be on Crossfit IoTA’s bench mark white board. I am not sure I can do it in 6 months but it’s worth a try.
My favorite workout attire is… This might sound bad, but anything tight. I hate frumpy clothes that move around and are baggy. So if it’s tight, I’ll wear it. And I like my Georgia Bulldog T-shirts.
My favorite workout partner(s)… I love the ladies and Paul Fisher in the 9:15 class. They are my comfort zone. They cheer me on and motivate me to do better. Daryl is always so willing to help me improve on my lack of skill! He gets all the credit for me learning to do pull ups in about 4 weeks. Daeci and Brooke are incredibly awesome and accepting. Steph Hall is always there to demonstrate the proper way to do a movement and answer all of my crazy questions. However, my IoTa experience would not be complete without my favorite tush tapper Mindy Anderson. One of the only reasons I run is so that Mindy will give me some love somewhere on the route to give me that little extra push I need to finish! Occasionally my schedule gets thrown off and I go to another class and everyone is so wonderful. Everyone is great!
If you created a WOD and named it after yourself what would the workout be?
“TAM”
50 Weighted Walking Lunges
40 Burpees
30 Box Jumps
40 Burpees
50 Weighted Walking Lunges

0 comments :