Know Before You Go
How many times have you looked at the clock and realized "oh my gosh! It's already noon and I haven't even eaten breakfast yet"? Well, I have done it plenty of times. The worst part of it is I usually grab the first thing I find to eat...and thats usually not good.
If you are really serious about cleaning up your diet, I suggest packing a cooler. Does the thought of filling a cooler freak you out?
Follow these simple rules to make packing a clean-eating cooler a breeze.
* Never boil one egg when you can boil a dozen. It takes the same amount of time and far less work to do a bunch.
* Buy family sized packs of chicken breast and gril or bake them all at once. Have one for dinner and voila! The rest will do for meals during the week.
*Look for large turkey breasts at the grocery store and roast it up for dinner and the next days meals. The bonus here isthat your roast turkey is not loaded with sugar, sodium and other hidden ingredients.
*Pack easily portable foods. Like apples, bananas and pears that are a complete serving in themselves.
*Put a small jar of natural peanutbutter in your cooler soyou can reach for it when something quick. Pair it with a crunchy apple for a perfect midday snack.
* Carry a pre-measured amount of whey protein powder in your cooler at all times. Mix it with water when you need something fast.
* Carry wraps. Whole grain wraps aare ideal low-fat ways to transport food both to work and to your mouth. They keep well and are inexpensive.
* Low-fat dairy. Like cottage cheese, string cheese and unsweetened yogurt are great to toss into the cooler as well. Look for plain varities which can spice up yourself with berries and fruit.
* Don't forget to prepare loads of raw veggies. Slice them and store in an airtight container. Veggies are excellent complex carbs to munch on with lean protein- The PERFECT combo!
*Complete your packing with water. Remember, you will need about 1 to 2 gallons per day.